Thursday, March 06, 2008

Chaotic Ramblings Return

It has been more than two and a half years since my last post and far too much has happened to be mention in detail especially since my mind is half empty. :D (Sorry, couldn't resist). Where to begin... There is just too much. I guess I could start with baseball since the 2008 season is about to start in a month. St. Louis Cardinals won the World Series in 2006! Also that year, I worked concessions at Hammons Field during in home games. It was a fun, but exhausting experience. That summer there was at least 3 rain outs that I can remember and one night, lightening actually struck the facility. In 2007, the Springfield Cardinals nearly won the Texas League Championship. This year, the Springfield Cardinals are hosting the St. Louis Cardinals for two exhibition games near the end of the month. There were a little over 6,000 tickets available recently for these games and they were gone in 12 minutes!

Since before January of this year, numerous candidates had been running for President of the United States. Many of these candidates have dropped out for various reasons. Now, the presumptive Republican nominee is John McCain, who is currently serving as a US Senator from Arizona. On the Democratic side of the election, it is currently a toss-up for the nomination between the Senator from New York and former First Lady, Hillary Clinton and Illinois Senator Barack Obama. We as a nation may know who the nominee is after the Pennslyvania primary in April or we may not know until the actual convention. Oh well. Who ever gets the nomination will need a hell of a lot security, if they don't have it already.

Being from the St. Louis area originally, I keep my eye on the news up there. Recently a local man from one of the suburbs died of injuries he received after being ran over by a car driven by a couple who had just stole a tip jar from a Starbucks which has less than $5 in it. The perpetrators have been caught. However charges haven't been filed yet because intent has to be established on whether or not the suspects intended on killing the man that was attempting to prevent the theft. You can read about it at www.stltoday.com, which is the website for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch newspaper. I think it's quite sad and I hope the suspects are found guilty and sent to prison for a long time.

In my own life over the last two and half years, a lot has happened. I'm still living In the same apartment I moved into in '05. I'm still working for the same place that I have been since before I even started this blog but gained more responsibilities
and more hours but not full time hours, which still sucks in a way. Academically, I still am not finished with my bachelor's degree in computer information systems, but I am getting closer. The class I'm in right now should be my last. It's an independent study course but it's also an academic service project. Basically I go to one of the local public schools and be a walking help desk. I can honestly say that this class has been an enjoyable experience, so far. In January 2007, there was a major ice storm in southwest Missouri and a few days after it, I broke my left leg fall on the ice outside a friend's apartment. I was off of work for two and a half months, which really sucked and I am still dealing with the consequences to this day. Of course, I'll be dealing with it the rest of my life. This was a card that life dealt me at the time.

Another card that life dealt me more recently was getting the chance to go to an technology expo hosted by a branch of the local library. It was an all day event with seminars ranging from ethics in the information age to computer security for non-geeks to facts about e-waste. The organizations that sponsored the event gave out door prizes to those attendees that entered their names at the end of each seminar with a grand prize awarded at the end of the expo. This grand prize was a Toshiba Satellite laptop donated by the local Best Buy store. The lucky winner of this laptop is me. I was very surprised that my name was drawn and I'm more than pleased with the laptop.

Well, that's all for now. I hope to update the blog a lot more often then I have but one can never tell. To everyone out there, "Live Long and Prosper."

No comments: